Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Landmark study links microplastics to serious health problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00650-3

INTRO: Plastics are just about everywhere — food packaging, tyres, clothes, water pipes. And they shed microscopic particles that end up in the environment and can be ingested or inhaled by people.

Now the first data of their kind show a link between these microplastics and human health. A study of more than 200 people undergoing surgery found that nearly 60% had microplastics or even smaller nanoplastics in a main artery. Those who did were 4.5 times more likely to experience a heart attack, a stroke or death in the approximately 34 months after the surgery than were those whose arteries were plastic-free.

“This is a landmark trial,” says Robert Brook, a physician-scientist at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, who studies the environmental effects on cardiovascular health and was not involved with the study. “This will be the launching pad for further studies across the world to corroborate, extend and delve into the degree of the risk that micro- and nanoplastics pose.”

But Brook, other researchers and the authors themselves caution that this study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine on 6 March, does not show that the tiny pieces caused poor health. Other factors that the researchers did not study, such as socio-economic status, could be driving ill health rather than the plastics themselves, they say.

Scientists have found microplastics just about everywhere they’ve looked: in oceans; in shellfish; in breast milk; in drinking water; wafting in the air; and falling with rain.

Such contaminants are not only ubiquitous but also long-lasting, often requiring centuries to break down. As a result, cells responsible for removing waste products can’t readily degrade them, so microplastics accumulate in organisms.

Microplastics are everywhere — but are they harmful? In humans, they have been found in the blood and in organs such as the lungs and placenta... (MORE - details)
Meh, correlation.
(Mar 9, 2024 04:41 PM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Meh, correlation.

Excuse to avoid laundry or wear nothing at all to help save the planet.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/lau...%20washed.

Is surgery performed by doctors in the nude the safest for the patient?

From sciencedirect: Synthetic fibers such as polypropylene and polyester are commonly used in the construction of surgical drapes and gowns
Mrs C2 bought a thing called a 'Cora Ball' which claimed to catch microplastics in the washing machine - after a year it didn't look like it had caught anything* or was ever likely to. I see they are $42 in the US - I would advise against buying one.
Edit .. * you might say Mrs C2 was caught by a scammer.
(Mar 10, 2024 02:39 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]Mrs C2 bought a thing called a 'Cora Ball' which claimed to catch microplastics in the washing machine - after a year it didn't look like it had caught anything* or was ever likely to. I see they are $42 in the US - I would advise against buying one.

Everything you need to know

https://lochtree.com/blogs/blog/cora-bal...and%20PVC.

From the article:

What is Cora Ball made of?

Cora Ball is made of 100% recycled and recyclable soft and stretchy plastic. And, a lot of that plastic is reground laundry balls! The plastic is designed to withstand the temperatures and movement of the washer.

The plastic it’s made of is free from harmful chemicals like BPA, phthalates, and PVC. Also, each ball is made in the USA, right in Vermont!
(Mar 10, 2024 03:19 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 10, 2024 02:39 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]Mrs C2 bought a thing called a 'Cora Ball' which claimed to catch microplastics in the washing machine - after a year it didn't look like it had caught anything* or was ever likely to. I see they are $42 in the US - I would advise against buying one.

Everything you need to know

https://lochtree.com/blogs/blog/cora-bal...and%20PVC.

From the article:

What is Cora Ball made of?

Cora Ball is made of 100% recycled and recyclable soft and stretchy plastic. And, a lot of that plastic is reground laundry balls! The plastic is designed to withstand the temperatures and movement of the washer.

The plastic it’s made of is free from harmful chemicals like BPA, phthalates, and PVC. Also, each ball is made in the USA, right in Vermont!

We do use fabric softener and the blog (from the seller) suggests (and I can confirm) they don't work if you do. Somehow I doubt if it would work without fabric conditioner but we didn't try it so that is just an opinion..

Edit .. If you can convince people that $0.20 of soft plastic with spikes on can be an effective $50 filter then you are on to something.. nothing more and nothing less.
I asked Google: Does fabric softener contain micro-plastics? Here’s what they say:

https://www.yours.co.uk/life/home/plasti...softener/#

Surprised me too! In tap water also. They’re everywhere
Never used fabric softener, and don't understand the need.
When a study says “linked” to health problems, it isn’t saying “causes” is it? In the same breath one could say air and water are linked to health problems. Not saying microplastics don’t have some effect on living things but just being linked sounds like something a scientist might say so research doesn’t stop along with funding and employment.
Yeah, a link is only correlation, not causation.

"...does not show that the tiny pieces caused poor health. Other factors that the researchers did not study, such as socio-economic status, could be driving ill health rather than the plastics themselves...."

Pages: 1 2