Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: 8 ways psychedelics distort our vision + Bad trips: adverse effects of psychedelics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bad trips: Study examines the long-term adverse effects of psychedelic drugs
https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/bad-trip...chedelics/

KEY POINTS: Psychedelics, originally studied in the mid-20th century for therapeutic potential, faced a hiatus due to legal restrictions but have experienced a "renaissance" in recent decades. New research suggests that a significant proportion of users faces long-term difficulties following psychedelic experiences, including emotional and social challenges and perceptual problems. The results indicate that the use of psychedelics, even in a clinical context, can come with risks... (MORE - missing details)

8 ways psychedelics distort our vision
https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/psychede...l-effects/

INTRO: Psychonaut turned scientific researcher Josie Kins has personally tried over 200 psychedelic compounds and had hundreds of psychedelic experiences. But she no longer takes them herself. “I’ve already explored them so thoroughly,” she says. Over the past 12 years, Kins has compiled a list of 233 effects people experience under the influence of psychedelic drugs, drawn from online accounts and her own experience, called the Subjective Effect Index.

In 2021, she began working for a startup drug company called Mindstate Design Labs to make the classification system more precise and comprehensive, under the advisement of renowned psychedelic researchers Thomas Ray and Andy Newburg. That work could double the total number of entries on the list, she says. But it’s the cognitive and emotional effects that seem to elude categorization and need the most refining. “The visual effects are already rigorous,” says Kins.

Below, a selection of some of the 52 visual effects on her list... (MORE - details)

COVERED:

Diffraction

Increased pareidolia

Machinescapes

Object activation

Scenery slicing

Texture liquidation

Unspeakable horrors

Visual exposure to inner mechanics of consciousness
After doing psychedelics, many decades ago, I use to tell people, if you have demons, stress, or mental problems you have trouble with while sober, don't try psychedelics.
Now I wouldn't recommend them at all.
I haven't ever tried psychedelics and probably wouldn't have a good experience if I did. I harbor many a renegade demon finding my soul a convenient stopover on it's way to the abyss of hell.