Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Is milk bad for you? Here's what the science says
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/...ience-says

EXCERPTS: . . . “What are the unique nutrients that dairy has that nothing else has? Nothing,” says Christopher Gardner, a professor and nutrition researcher from the Stanford Prevention Research Center. “It is true calcium is easier to get from milk than just about anything else. That is totally true. But you can get calcium from lots of other things.”

And while not everyone should rush to dump their dairy, there are risks that come from drinking milk excessively.

Is Milk Good For You?

[...] The federal government is milk’s main champion. As early as the 1940s, milk was touted as a guaranteed path to strength, health, and happiness.

[...] The idea that milk makes your bones stronger is a common belief, but it's somewhat more complex than that. Milk and dairy products are excellent sources of calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for bone health. But they are not the only sources.

[...] Evidence shows that drinking milk does increase height in children.

[...] The relationship between milk consumption and diabetes, particularly type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), is a subject of ongoing research and debate. A 2019 review of the potential role of milk proteins shows that increased dairy consumption has been associated with a lower risk of T2DM.

[...] Milk can be beneficial for a sore throat for some individuals.

[...] When it comes to the actual cardiovascular benefits or risks of milk products, the research isn’t so clear-cut.

Is Milk Bad For You?

[...] Research on the topic of milk stripping bones of calcium has yielded mixed results.

[...] Some medical experts claim excessive milk consumption can lead to bone fractures.

[...] Willett says drinking three glasses of full-fat milk a day would probably add too much saturated fat to a diet. But he says three glasses of any type of milk is probably too much in the first place.

[...] The relationship between dairy consumption and cancer risk is a topic of ongoing research, and findings can vary based on the type of cancer and the specific compounds in dairy products. Much of the concern around milk revolves around the growth hormones it contains, most of which occur naturally because it comes from a lactating female cow... (MORE - missing details)
I drink about a gallon of milk every three days. I love it and have depended on it for many years. It's just one of those stables for me like crystal lite lemonade. I hate water and never drink it. Something about the flavor sets me off.
Interesting paper on Milk (specifically about being a source of Iodine):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8866650/
I love milk and drink lots of it. Especially protein shakes and chocolate milk (I'm a chocoholic!) Vanilla is good too.

I'm not going to stop drinking milk. Sorry health "experts". I got this far drinking milk and I'm gonna keep going with what works.

I can see why people who are lactose-intolerant might want to avoid it, but that doesn't apply to me.
(Oct 31, 2023 05:10 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]I drink about a gallon of milk every three days. I love it and have depended on it for many years. It's just one of those stables for me like crystal lite lemonade. I hate water and never drink it. Something about the flavor sets me off.

I agree with you about water. I hate drinking it straight up and partake of it only in extreme conditions. Ice tea is my favourite beverage, I drink very little milk and rarely down a glassful. I’ll put it on my Shreddies and mix it with a hot tea but that’s it. Then again, I do like a milkshake every now and then.

Haven’t noticed in bad side effects other than unknowingly tasting sour or curdled milk. Not many smells worse than milk that’s gone bad
(Nov 1, 2023 01:32 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 31, 2023 05:10 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]I drink about a gallon of milk every three days. I love it and have depended on it for many years. It's just one of those stables for me like crystal lite lemonade. I hate water and never drink it. Something about the flavor sets me off.

I agree with you about water. I hate drinking it straight up and partake of it only in extreme conditions. Ice tea is my favourite beverage, I drink very little milk and rarely down a glassful. I’ll put it on my Shreddies and mix it with a hot tea but that’s it. Then again, I do like a milkshake every now and then.

Haven’t noticed in bad side effects other than unknowingly tasting sour or curdled milk. Not many smells worse than milk that’s gone bad

For someone so intolerant of water, I try to stay hydrated with lemonade, milk, and diet cokes. I have to watch my intake of sugar because of a high A1C. Dehydration can sneak up on you and make you feel all sorts of bad.
You guys who hate water should try lightly flavored water. Much better than tap water. Especially good on hot days when you've been sweating a lot.

Trouble with water is that it's so... watery. It's really good when you are in danger of being dehydrated but it doesn't really compare with milk. Milk is food, it's got protein, and calcium and vitamins and all that good stuff. It's natures baby formula, perfect for big babies.
(Nov 2, 2023 02:57 AM)Yazata Wrote: [ -> ]You guys who hate water should try lightly flavored water. Much better than tap water. Especially good on hot days when you've been sweating a lot.

Trouble with water is that it's so... watery. It's really good when you are in danger of being dehydrated but it doesn't really compare with milk. Milk is food, it's got protein, and calcium and vitamins and all that good stuff. It's natures baby formula, perfect for big babies.

My wife likes carbonated water and we have one of those dispensers in the kitchen. Can’t stand it, flavoured or not. If I had to compare the bland taste of water to something dairy, it would be unsalted butter.

Chocolate milk isn’t too bad and I’ve got a weakness for ice cream, it’s not that I avoid all dairy products. My dad used to drink buttermilk, I don’t know how he did it.
I favor carbonated liquids which is probably why I drink so much diet soda. Something about the acidic sting as it washes down my throat.