Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Fluorine 18
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had what they call a PET Scan yesterday. Involved injection of Fluorine 18. Ever since prostate cancer diagnosed seems like I’ve become a target for nuclear medicine. Radiation therapy in 2017 but during Covid years the PSA count started to rise slowly. Doctor concerned so CT, bone and now this scan have been completed. Know more on Nov 3.

Anyways the nurse/tech who administered the injection told me to wait while she made up the fluorine 18 before attaching to the catheter already in my arm. Never got a chance to clarify what she said and wonder now if I heard her right. Do they really make this stuff up when patient ready?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorine-18
(Oct 14, 2023 02:44 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Had what they call a PET Scan yesterday. Involved injection of Fluorine 18. Ever since prostate cancer diagnosed seems like I’ve become a target for nuclear medicine. Radiation therapy in 2017 but during Covid years the PSA count started to rise slowly. Doctor concerned so CT, bone and now this scan have been completed. Know more on Nov 3.

Anyways the nurse/tech who administered the injection told me to wait while she made up the fluorine 18 before attaching to the catheter already in my arm. Never got a chance to clarify what she said and wonder now if I heard her right. Do they really make this stuff up when patient ready?

My full assumption (Not a doctor) would be that due to the decay rate (and how quickly it becomes inert radiologically speaking) that it is likely activated while you are present. It makes sense that something with a very quick decay would be used as you wouldn't want something that lasted longer in your body to metabolise as it would likely lead to thyroid responses which could cause further complications.

Hopefully it does just end up being all cautionary.
(Oct 14, 2023 05:51 PM)stryder Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 14, 2023 02:44 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Had what they call a PET Scan yesterday. Involved injection of Fluorine 18. Ever since prostate cancer diagnosed seems like I’ve become a target for nuclear medicine. Radiation therapy in 2017 but during Covid years the PSA count started to rise slowly. Doctor concerned so CT, bone and now this scan have been completed. Know more on Nov 3.

My full assumption (Not a doctor) would be that due to the decay rate (and how quickly it becomes inert radiologically speaking) that it is likely activated while you are present. It makes sense that something with a very quick decay would be used as you wouldn't want something that lasted longer in your body to metabolise as it would likely lead to thyroid responses which could cause further complications.

Hopefully it does just end up being all cautionary.

Hope you’re right Stryder.

When nurse returned with the concoction I remember it was in a small box, like a jeweller’s, and inside was a metal container of some sort. She drew the mixture into a syringe and injected me with it. She said shelf life was 155 minutes and I had to wait an hour before beginning the scan which took 17 minutes in all. Scan was from my knees to my head. No fuzzy warm feelings and had to drink water to remove it from system asap.

It’s part of a study and there were some people there observing and collecting data but not in the same room as scanner. Saw only one female patient, talked to her in waiting room, and she was more or less a Guinea pig for a test they were conducting. Other than that it was all male patients. Procedure not approved yet in Canada so I had to sign a consent form. Something some of you may have to face one day so I hope this helps a bit.
I think it's the contrast dye used in some radiology scans that damages kidneys or causes renal failure over time if it is used too often.
Well I got my results and not good. Turns out my prostate cancer has returned. Took 6 years. Started me on hormone therapy reducing testosterone production and also scheduling more radiation. My PSA now at 3. I have to take calcium and vitamin D to help keep my bones from deteriorating. Good news is that it hasn’t spread to any organs or into my chest and is confined to the prostate area. The good thing about the PET Scan was, according to doc, it being able to pinpoint exactly where cancer cells are. So the idea is to starve them of testosterone and nuke them too. Taking some other drug for next 30 days that slows cancer cells down. At least they don’t have to guess or explore to find the cancer location. Maybe they become more of a sitting duck for a jolt of nuclear poison. No biopsy thank goodness. If they can get me to 80 I’ll be happy with that. No sense being sad about finding it, so might as well be glad they did. I feel like I’ve just bought more time…unless something else gets me first. I also get to carry on a normal meaning I stay active which is actually a good thing.

I love my tea so is one cup a day considered moderate caffeine consumption. That might be the hardest condition I face.
Aww, dang it! Sorry to hear that. What stage?
At least it sounds like it was detected early again. Major plus, Zin.

In contrast to an in-law who remained steadfastly unconcerned and unaware of it until the malignant growth was pressing so hard against part of his GI tract that it was blocking passage. Needless to say...
Sorry to hear that Zin. I hope the meds work.
No mention of a stage so I’m feeling it’s early. Doc was pretty upbeat and confident about doing something about it. Nothing like CC’s in-law’s situation. Radiation is her idea. She knows from PET scan where the bad stuff is and she going to after it. She said as few as five sessions, maybe more for radiation. Drug I’m taking for next 30 days slows down cancer cell production so maybe she’s keeping it where she knows it is. Probably a follow up PET scan once she’s done.
(Nov 4, 2023 11:18 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]No mention of a stage so I’m feeling it’s early. Doc was pretty upbeat and confident about doing something about it.  Nothing like CC’s in-law’s situation. Radiation is her idea. She knows from PET scan where the bad stuff is and she going to after it. She said as few as five sessions, maybe more for radiation. Drug I’m taking for next 30 days slows down cancer cell production so maybe she’s keeping it where she knows it is. Probably a follow up PET scan once she’s done.

With breast cancer, they test to see if it’s hormone sensitive with a biopsy before putting you on the blockers. Not the same with prostate?

Either way, I wish you well.
Pages: 1 2