Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Pinky Blinders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Historically accurate? I’ve haven’t watched an episode but people say it’s really good. Most of videos I’ve seen of it involve some kind of close range shooting of an individual so not sure if worth watching just for that. Recommend?
(Oct 3, 2023 01:37 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Historically accurate? I’ve haven’t watched an episode but people say it’s really good. Most of videos I’ve seen of it involve some kind of close range shooting of an individual so not sure if worth watching just for that. Recommend?

It's something we've planned to watch eventually, but I've never bothered to even check out a video clip yet. Since it's another crime drama or gang scenario (set in the past like "Boardwalk Empire"), I expect there would be a lot of people getting shot, beat-up, tortured, etc (even for the UK). A given like "The Sopranos" or "Banshee" or "Sons of Anarchy" type violence.

It apparently didn't end on a cliffhanger after six seasons, but there were probably still some things unresolved or open to further development. Akin to how "Downton Abbey" continued in the form of movie releases.

Otherwise, it would take a monumental effort for me to watch a series that terminated on a cliffhanger, due to cancellation.

Might at least be historically accurate in terms of general events of that era. Back then Marxist slash "communist" parties and organizations were openly such rather than hiding behind "social democrat" labeling. So expect those activists to receive sympathetic treatment in the sense of what they usually get from today's movie/television studios, academic scholars, and journalists. Not that Churchill won't be going after them along with the gangsters and the IRA endeavors -- but the far Left will be portrayed as heroic victims and the secular version of altruistic missionaries.

In the civil unrest of Indonesia back in 1965-66, gangsters were recruited for some of the death squads (The Act of Killing). So I wouldn't rule out a degree of "Clockwork Orange" irony (i.e., Dim and Billyboy later becoming policemen in that novel) of the establishment employing thugs to take out thugs.
(Oct 3, 2023 03:16 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 3, 2023 01:37 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Historically accurate? I’ve haven’t watched an episode but people say it’s really good. Most of videos I’ve seen of it involve some kind of close range shooting of an individual so not sure if worth watching just for that. Recommend?

It's something we've planned to watch eventually, but I've never bothered to even check out a video clip yet. Since it's another crime drama (set in the past like "Boardwalk Empire"), I expect there would be a lot of people getting shot, beat-up, tortured, etc (even for the UK). A given like "The Sopranos" or "Banshee" or "Sons of Anarchy" type violence.

It apparently didn't end on a cliffhanger after six seasons, but there were probably still some things unresolved or open to further development. Akin to how Downton Abbey continued in the form of movie releases.

Otherwise, it would take a monumental effort for me to watch a series that terminated on a cliffhanger, due to cancellation.

Might at least be historically accurate in terms of general events of that era. Back then Marxist slash "communist" parties and organizations were openly such rather than hiding behind "social democrat" labeling. So expect those activists to receive sympathetic treatment in the sense of what they usually get from today's movie/television studios, academic scholars, and journalists. Not that Churchill won't be going after them along with the gangsters and the IRA endeavors -- but the far Left will be portrayed as heroic victims and the secular version of altruistic missionaries.

In the civil unrest of Indonesia back in 1965-66, gangsters were recruited for some of the death squads (The Act of Killing). So I wouldn't rule out a degree of "Clockwork Orange" irony (later in that novel) of the establishment employing thugs to take out thugs.

Ya, I don’t know if the vids I’ve seen are realistic. Seems like each one contained a scene where someone is about to shoot someone point blank ( the face a popular target), the victim knows death is imminent yet they act like someone’s pointing a toy at them. Participation in WWI seems to be the reason they’re indifferent to killing, or resigned to dying because it’s a side effect of war trauma for survivors, I assume.. I find it hard to believe all veterans felt that way so it kind of turns me off.
Well, we officially watched the first episode of it. Not sure what to think yet...

White Stripes: "I Think I Smell A Rat" ... https://youtu.be/2viZa1NJMy0
(Oct 3, 2023 04:24 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Ya, I don’t know if the vids I’ve seen are realistic. Seems like each one contained a scene where someone is about to shoot someone point blank ( the face a popular target), the victim knows death is imminent yet they act like someone’s pointing a toy at them. Participation in WWI seems to be the reason they’re indifferent to killing, or resigned to dying because it’s a side effect of war trauma for survivors, I assume.. I find it hard to believe all veterans felt that way so it kind of turns me off.

We're into the 3rd season now. History-wise, they're not the original Peaky Blinders gang(s) -- the show is just playing off the name.

The fact that it's a UK product isn't going to make any difference. If a viewer didn't like other contemporary gangster series like The Sopranos, Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, or even something like "The Wire" and "Breaking Bad"... Then they're not going to like this.

Notice "contemporary". The old mob films of B&W film-noir days with their tame violence, sex, language, and fewer anti-heroes are obviously a different context.