Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Alternatives to the Big Bang theory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alternatives to the Big Bang Theory Explained

EXCERPT: [...] If any of astronomers' basic assumptions are wrong, the Big Bang theory would not explain the properties of this universe. Is it possible that a Big Bang never happened? One alternative theory is the Steady State universe. [...] Another alternative is the Eternal Inflation theory. [...] The Oscillating model of the universe [...] Implications found in quantum gravity and string theory tantalizingly suggest a universe that is in reality nothing like how it appears to human observers. It may actually be a flat hologram projected onto the surface of a sphere, for example. Or it could be a completely digital simulation running in a vast computer....

[Image: big-bang-alternatives-130421b-02.jpg?1393024341]
The simulation on a vast computer scenario would seem to include the possibility that the future is less predictable than it might appear to be.
(Oct 19, 2015 02:29 AM)elte Wrote: [ -> ]The simulation on a vast computer scenario would seem to include the possibility that the future is less predictable than it might appear to be.

A multiverse version of static block-time might even offer some degree of indeterminism in what would otherwise seem a completely determined framework of events. At least in a psychological sense of which parallel option of the cosmos one was consciously aware of perceiving or residing in from moment to moment. Such could be simplistically viewed as a brain-dependent process or individual flow of experience wandering around in a labyrinth structure of already existing variable possibilities.

Hermann Weyl: The objective world simply IS, it does not HAPPEN. Only to the gaze of my consciousness, crawling upward along the life line [worldline] of my body, does a certain section of this world come to life as a fleeting image in space which continuously changes in time. --Philosophy of Mathematics and Natural Science

Max Tegmark: Unadulterated quantum theory does not, in fact, pose any contradictions. Although it predicts that one classical reality gradually splits into superpositions of many such realities, observers subjectively experience this splitting merely as a slight randomness, with probabilities in exact agreement with those from the old collapse postulate. --Parallel Universes, SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, 2003
I like that Multiverse model. The branchings of the worldlines of every particle in the Universe curling ever outward to form a dense and self-entangled dendrite of infinite fractalesce appearance. That infinity is captured in ever self-splitting microseconds inspires me with a sense of the plantlike, veinlike and synaptical nature of reality--as a living complex of self-compounding information feeding itself, interacting with itself, and transcending itself into whole new possibilities.

During the Scole Experiments, in which a medium transmitted various messages, images, and objects from "another dimension" in the presence of several researchers, this strange German poem was received. It strikes me as a hint as to the ultimate nature of our reality:

Translated, the poem reads:

"An old trunk with a thousand branches
The roots within eternity
Bends over from East towards the West
In many forms far and wide.
No tree can become more richly blossomed
And no tree's fruit can be more noble
But even the 'darkest' on earth.
Ripens on its branch alone."