Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Complicit: big tech and antisemitism (social media style)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://sapirjournal.org/antisemitism/20...isemitism/

EXCERPT: . . . A 2021 report from the Center for Countering Digital Hate found that the five leading social-media companies (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok) failed to remove 84 percent of antisemitic posts — and those were just the ones that had been flagged by the tools these companies use to alert content moderators to problematic content.

In their defense, the big social-media companies say that, try as they might, it’s impossible to police all the content on their sites, given the sheer volume of it. It’s certainly true that there are obstacles in the way of combating online hate and antisemitism.

Content moderation is a game of Whac-A-Mole. For example, several years ago, antisemites began using an “echo” — three parentheses bracketing a word — to refer to Jewish individuals. Content-moderation systems could take down every instance of the echo, but that would also sweep up educational posts sharing what the echo means as well as posts by Jews using it to proudly self-identify in the face of hate.

Automated content-moderation systems must be updated constantly to accommodate the shifting language and context of hate.

Another obstacle to blocking hateful online content is the tactic popular among social-media “influencers” who deliberately evade moderation by weaponizing talking points that incite others to harassment. The problem is particularly rampant on Twitter. Twitter, under Musk’s leadership, focuses on holding individual accounts responsible for harmful content. As a result, it frequently misses how influential accounts with large followings operate... (MORE - missing details)
- - - - - - - - - - -

Youtube -- in conjunction with the Regressive Left -- has long given a pass to Islamic antisemitism: https://www.scivillage.com/thread-12061.html

Such favoritism is vaguely reflective of how when "born woman social justice" and "transwoman social justice" conflict with each other, it is the feminists who must step aside or be derogatively labeled TERFS by the collectivist and progressive capitalist establishment. Going back to the mid 19th-century, "systemic oppression" politics has always featured a backdoor (no pun intended) for allowing males (either overt or covert) to still sport the upperhand when guiding the direction of crusaderism and revolution.
I went to school with a Jewish boy. He was known to be Jewish because he stood outside for part of the school assembly in case he got contaminated by Christianity. He came back for normal school notices like dinners being cancelled owing to a plague of locusts and such like. If I'd been a bit smarter I'd also have been Jewish but I didn't think of that until .. now. As far as I remember being Jewish was quite low on the scale of reasons to be singled out for unwanted attention in a hostile environment.

Different schools and families make for different adults - the surprises aren't always pleasant.

I see Elon Musk has just one-upped every feminist with a cage fight. I've got used to trying to reverse engineering how clever an AI is .. applied to Elon I'd say pretty damn smart. It might work out well - boys will be boys (fkn idiots) or maybe (heaven forbid) there'll be girl CEOs trying it.
(Aug 13, 2023 01:31 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]I went to school with a Jewish boy. [...]

I was 11 years old the first time I met a Jewish individual. His mother was originally from Japan, so this made him the shortest adult person in the room. Counterbalancing that, though, was our being told beforehand that he was a magnate -- the wealthiest person in the room. Actually several rooms, the whole neighborhood, the town, maybe many counties. Apologies to the masses if that sounds like a "Kyle runs Hollywood" stereotype, but coincidences happen.

My brother had always hoped that Stan Lee, Shatner, or Nimoy would be his first. (Actually, probably an extended list of Asimov, Kubrick, Betty Joan Perske, Robert Allen Zimmerman, and so on ad infinitum).

https://youtu.be/Y9-CO5HQm90