Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: We don't all have a "mind's eye" (aphantasia)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://youtu.be/A91tvp0b1fY

VIDEO EXCERPT: Broadly-speaking, the scientific community first really learned about aphantasia after a man had what seemed like a small stroke and lost his ability to create visual imagery. After his story was covered in the news, 21 others contacted the original researcher to report similar experiences. Only for them, life had been that way as long as they could remember. As scientists studied these folks, they found that aphantasia falls on a spectrum. Some people report their visual imagination as just being less vivid, making them less likely to use it. Meanwhile, others seem to be unable to make visual imagery at all.

SciShow: We don't all have a "mind's eye" (aphantasia)
In various occult practices and rituals being able to clearly picture something in your imagination is a prerequisite for accomplishing magick. It's called opening your third eye. But trying to do that frustrated me since I could never get my inner vision as clear and as constant as my outer vision. My hyperactive mind could never be pinned down to one thing. I wonder if vivid mind's eye viewing can be developed with practice. Some people think so..
I'd say it's transhumanism in the sense of being BCI (Brain computer interface) ready!

We assume what images people see are from their own mind, but to be honest it could easily be outsourced.