Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Are we living in an ancestor simulation? (Matt O'Dowd & a brief Neil deGrasse Tyson)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://youtu.be/hmVOV7xvl58

INTRO: The idea that our reality is a simulation is not as far-fetched as you may think. Many philosophers, scientists and tech-billionaires are seriously considering not just the possibility but the high probability that our civilization may be a program being run by another, more advanced alien civilization.

VIDEO EXCERPTS (Matt O'Dowd): As our video games become more and more lifelike, it's becoming clear that at some point, perhaps soon, our simulations will be indistinguishable from reality.

If that's true, how do we know it didn't already happen? Could we be in a simulation now?

Before I get into details, I want to share with you a conversation I recently had about this idea with my colleague at the Hayden Planetarium in New York City. In fact, with its director Neil deGrasse Tyson, along with comedian Eugene Mirman, as part of Neil's "StarTalk" radio show.

[...] But the numbers game, OK? So the idea that if you need to produce one universe capable of producing universe simulations. And that's all you need.

And if that universe produces billions of universe simulations, then any universe that you happen to find yourself in-- is more likely to be one of them-- Than the one universe that started it all.

[...] It can't simulate the whole universe, because to simulate a universe perfectly, you need a computer the size of a universe.

[...] under certain assumptions, virtual minds should vastly outnumber real minds in our universe. If so, shouldn't we be virtual minds? Let's dive deeper into this rabbit hole and decide if this actually makes sense.

But before we do so, we should be clear about what type of simulation we're talking about here. Let's avoid the idea that the entire universe is simulated, right down to every atom, electron, or vibrating quantum field.

[...] For science-- he [Bostrum] proposes that an advanced civilization may want to run simulations of its own history to study the behavior of the types of minds that lived that history. He calls these ancestor simulations. Let's look at the numbers.

[...] It's been estimated that the entire operation of a single brain could be simulated with somewhere between 100 trillion to 100 quadrillion binary operations for every second of time that the brain experiences.

[...] A full ancestor simulation would simulate all humans that ever lived, going back, say, 50,000 years. It's estimated that around 100 billion people have lived and died.

An average 30 year lifespan gives each of them a billion seconds.And each of those seconds requires 10 to the power of 14 to 10 to the power of 17 operations. Multiply those numbers together, and you get 10 to the 34 to 10 to the 37 binary operations to simulate all of human history. [...] You can mess with any of those numbers and still remain within those few factors of 10.

[...] So how long would that take to compute for a super advanced civilization? Well, Bostrom uses Robert Bradbury's estimate-- that a computer the size of a large planet, a so-called Jupiter brain, would be capable of performing 10 to the power of 42 operations per second.

In other words, it will be capable of simulating the entire mental lives of all humans in history a million times over every single second.

Just one such computer would generate an insanely large number of lifelong mental experiences that are indistinguishable from the type of mental experience that you and I are having right now.

That's true, even if you scale back, say, to a computer the size of the moon, or if you assume several more orders of magnitude in the computing power needed to run the simulation.

Bostrom claims the following, which he calls the simulation argument. If ancestor simulations are something that even some civilizations end up creating-- so if they advance far enough, and decide it's a good idea-- then most of the self-aware minds that ever come into existence will be simulated ones.

[...] Copernican reasoning with a dash of the anthropic principle tells us that we should be the most typical, the most common type of observer, that could possibly be having our current experience.

So if the virtual minds of an ancestor simulation are vastly more common than the minds of the original living creatures that made the simulation, and if the simulated experience is completely consistent with our own experience, then it's more likely that we are those more typical observers.

I should note that Bostrom is on record as placing the odds at less than 50% that we're a simulation. Why? Because he thinks it just as likely that either all civilizations die out before being able to make vast scale ancestor simulations, or essentially no super advanced civilizations choose to make them.

[...] The hypothesis is unfalsifiable. Bostrom himself points out that, upon being found out by one of its resident minds, the simulation can be instantly edited or rewound.

In fact, this editability is a necessity. These simulations can only cover a tiny fraction of the universe. So they are prone to inconsistencies.

It's far more computationally economical to edit out the discovery of these inconsistencies than it is to simulate enough of the universe so that inconsistencies don't happen...

Would an ancestor simulation require life (?) on other planets? Alien visitation?
(Jul 1, 2023 12:47 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Would an ancestor simulation require life (?) on other planets? Alien visitation?

Not really, especially since this does specifically concern ancestor simulation (a past like ours, not an extraterrestrial past). The latter seems to entail modeling one's own world and its history.[1]

Otherwise, the prior-in-rank level wouldn't even have to reflect the nature of the artificial worlds at all -- including the idea of a computer being responsible for generating and maintaining such. (In fact, it's frowned upon as a recursive fallacy to explain _X_ with a repeat of _X_ rather than with "something different". Doesn't rule that out, but it is not a satisfactory approach toward a final or sufficient explanation.)

24 freaking quantum fields with excitations occurring in them (particles) might be some other ontological realm's para-technological method for engineering and exploring a virtual or alternative manner of existence. Or apprehending that as "events in fields" are the limit of what we can access and conceive slash mathematically formulate with respect to the prior-in-rank level's generation method and its actual type of be-ing. Similar to medieval characters in our video games never glimpsing the computer hardware and operations underlying them.

- - - footnote - - -

[1] While it would indeed inflate the number of simulations transpiring by including space aliens, they should clarify that in order for us to be falling out of those the ETs would be running all possible scenarios for life and its planetary environments, not just their ancestor simulations. Frank Tipler espoused something like that in "The Physics of Immortality". (The latter would have been better presented as a work of science fiction rather than a science hypothesis or even philosophical treatise. For instance, aspects of Jules Verne fantasies were instantiated in the next century. The difference between Verne being celebrated here and reviled as a crackpot in an alternate history.)
This post is eye-opening. For it reflects the proven science of metaphysics. There is no doubt that reality is a simulation of sorts. Exactly its origins we are on the verge of discovering. God most likely created the original reality that contains our cosmos.

Containment principles as applied to reality are the very premise of the CTMU. What form they take is unknown.
(Jul 1, 2023 12:47 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Would an ancestor simulation require life (?) on other planets? Alien visitation?

If Tyson does believe that it’s controlled by some snotnosed kid in a parent’s basement, maybe you should ease up on Ostro a bit. See if that helps with the fires up your way.

Well, speak of the devil.

(Jul 1, 2023 03:30 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: [ -> ]This post is eye-opening. For it reflects the proven science of metaphysics. There is no doubt that reality is a simulation of sorts. Exactly its origins we are on the verge of discovering. God most likely created the original reality that contains our cosmos.

Containment principles as applied to reality are the very premise of the CTMU. What form they take is unknown.

Hey Ostro, I could use reboot.
I’m sure one could think of many ancestor simulations each with a different twist…ie Mars as a living planet alongside ours. Should there be a plethora of ancestor simulations then that might suggest there is no way to traverse the past for exact information, even for the simulator.
The simulation theory that tends to be presented usually implies that our universe is one of many.... however the problem with that is it's design would be inefficient (each universe would require energy) and having universes spiral different paths means a continually growing size for computation (ever had a computer program run out of memory... now imagine an infinite number of universes running on a simulation box... you'd get there eventually).

It therefore makes more sense to have a singular universe made from a super-symmetry of parallel branes (branes in this instance would be more about data than universes).

I would go further into it, but I don't want to toss word salad on here.
(Jul 1, 2023 07:06 PM)stryder Wrote: [ -> ]The simulation theory that tends to be presented usually implies that our universe is one of many.... however the problem with that is it's design would be inefficient (each universe would require energy) and having universes spiral different paths means a continually growing size for computation (ever had a computer program run out of memory... now imagine an infinite number of universes running on a simulation box... you'd get there eventually).

It therefore makes more sense to have a singular universe made from a super-symmetry of parallel branes (branes in this instance would be more about data than universes).

A Game-world or a Brane-world. Not an Easy Choice!

Or we're stuck with the Shit Happens-world, which means I’m shit outta luck on the reboot.  Sad
(Jul 1, 2023 07:52 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 1, 2023 07:06 PM)stryder Wrote: [ -> ]The simulation theory that tends to be presented usually implies that our universe is one of many.... however the problem with that is it's design would be inefficient (each universe would require energy) and having universes spiral different paths means a continually growing size for computation (ever had a computer program run out of memory... now imagine an infinite number of universes running on a simulation box... you'd get there eventually).

A Game-world or a Brane-world. Not an Easy Choice!

Or we're stuck with the Shit Happens-world, which means I’m shit outta luck on the reboot.  Sad

If you have a universe made up of many branes, it would likely be purposely impossible to shutoff or reboot all of them together. Think of it a bit like the universe striving to survive from any crashes, reboots or breakdowns by constantly repairing and replacing the layers that are effected (This in essence would actually make up the passage of time) It would make a robust universe capable of surviving most of what is thrown at it, without anybody from with-in knowing just how close they were to breaking it. (It's apart of it's Heuristics and Redundancy clause)

So no singular reboots :/ However you can look forwards to tomorrow while looking the same as today, as being entirely different.
Just dawned on me (duh)…..if the universe is an ancestor simulation and we recognize it as such then there is a good chance the simulator is a simulation.(lot of simulate there) That might be a startling revelation even for the smartest guy in the universe. If your ancestor is a simulation then what the hell are you? it’s simulations all the way down!
Pages: 1 2