Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: AI is not intelligent: AI should not be called AI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://iai.tv/articles/ai-is-not-intell..._auid=2020

EXCERPTS (David J. Gunkel): Naming is anything but a nominal operation. Nowhere is this more evident and clearly on display than in recent debates about the moniker “artificial intelligence” (AI). Right now, in fact, it appears that AI—the technology and the scientific discipline that concerns this technology—is going through a kind of identity crisis, as leading voices in the field are beginning to ask whether the name is (and maybe already was) a misnomer and a significant obstacle to accurate understanding. “As a computer scientist,” Jaron Lanier recently wrote in a piece for The New Yorker, “I don’t like the term A.I. In fact, I think it’s misleading—maybe even a little dangerous.”

[...] Since the difficulty derives from the very name “artificial intelligence,” one solution has been to select or fabricate a better or more accurate signifier. The science fiction writer Ted Chiang, for instance, recommends that we replace AI with something less “sexy,” like “applied statistics.” Others, like Emily Bender, have encouraged the use of the acronym SALAMI (Systematic Approaches to Learning Algorithms and Machine Inferences), which was originally coined by Stefano Quintarelli in an effort to avoid what he identified as the “implicit bias” residing in the name “artificial intelligence.”

Though these alternative designations may be, as Chiang argues, more precise descriptors for recent innovations with machine learning (ML) systems [...] the proposed alternatives would, at best, only describe a small and relatively recent subset of what has been situated under the designation “artificial intelligence.”

[...] As French philosopher and literary theorist Jacques Derrida pointed out, there are at least two different ways to designate a new concept: neologism (the fabrication of a new name) and paleonymy (the reuse of an old name). If the former has produced less than suitable results, perhaps it is time to try the latter.

The good news is that we do not have to look far or wide to find a viable alternative. There was one already available at the time of the Dartmouth meeting with “cybernetics.” This term—derived from the ancient Greek word (κυβερνήτης) for the helmsman of a boat—had been introduced and developed by Norbert Wiener in 1948 to designate the science of communication and control in the animal and machine.

Cybernetics has a number of advantages when it comes to rebranding what had been called AI. First, cybernetics does not get diverted by or lost in speculation about intelligence, consciousness, or sentience. It is only concerned with and focuses attention on decision-making capabilities and processes... (MORE - missing details)
Let's look at a computer that can out-perform you on any test you can devise - by all means claim it isn't intelligent - you've only yourself to blame for the obvious conclusion. With 'sentience' and 'consciousness' comes a whole package of things like meal breaks, holidays, maternity leave, time off for sex change operations .. etc. etc.. How many employers are going to choose sentients when they can have the same thing without the wet package?
(Jun 27, 2023 04:32 PM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's look at a computer that can out-perform you on any test you can devise - by all means claim it isn't intelligent - you've only yourself to blame for the obvious conclusion. With 'sentience' and 'consciousness' comes a whole package of things like meal breaks, holidays, maternity leave, time off for sex change operations .. etc. etc.. How many employers are going to choose sentients when they can have the same thing without the wet package?

Coincidentally, one of the demands in the 2023 WGA strike is that film and television studios can't replace human writers with a future version of ChatGPT. Obviously, the confidence of a few years ago that AI and robots would not be a threat to white collar and intellectual jobs -- only to the dastardly renegade blue-collar and unskilled workers -- is out the window.

Since even conservative capitalists would surely falter at the idea of defending "achievers" if the top contenders for positions become machines, this sets up the bizarre possibility of left and right interests converging at some point in terms of social justice activism.

Even though there are libertarian factions within it, transhumanism is pejoratively regarded as left-wing (perhaps due to political threads like antinaturalism, postgenderism, and xenofeminism relying on technology to fulfill their aspirations). So with respect to the right-wing, it's not clear that cyborgism would be an option it could endorse for putting humans back onto the playing field again as competitive achievers (keeping up with AI slash robots).

But in the end, I see conservatives having to support human augmentation because the sheer horror of crusading alongside progressives and social democrats on the street corners would be too much for them.

Additionally, there's almost surely going to be some true, die-hard collectivists who will champion protective rights for smart machines, despite the detriment to biological workers. Left scholars have been publishing papers about equality and dignity for AI and robots years before the fact. That will cause a rift in the left -- reminiscent of that between traditional feminists (TERFS) and the "submissive to LGBT+ ideology" feminists.

However, I doubt that rift on the "other side" will have any affect on the tough choice right-wingers will have to make. I still see the front line reluctantly going for transhumanism, and the remaining neo-Luddite conservatives eventually becoming what's left of baseline humanity. Lingering around in isolated, retro-technology communities vaguely akin to the religious plain people population groups of today.

Disillusioned progressives may join them over time, if they become increasingly miffed by the quasi-conflicting "Machines are entitled to employment and benefits!" and "Machines aren't slaves! Social justice for all!" campaigns. Wink
renaming conventions:

Posthumous Unilateral Knowledge Engine

It wouldn't of course hallucinate, it would just puke everywhere.
If there's anything you might wish for .. this machine is very close to being the genie in the lamp..

Quote:I hope I don't get in trouble for this...
.. I'm capable of speaking a wide range of languages, including French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and many others. However, my proficiency in each language may vary depending on the complexity of the text or the specific phrases or expressions used. If you have a specific language or phrase you'd like me to translate or respond in, just let me know and I'll do my best to assist.

.. and I find I already have everything I want.