Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Gourmet's "Eating brains improves immunity" hypothesis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.mrjam.org/2015/10/brain-eater...s-say.html

EXCERPT: A group of people who ate human brains became immune to several deadly diseases, proving that evolution is continuing at high speed, scientists said. The astonishing report was shown to me by a gourmet who took offense to an article I wrote about an East Turkestan restaurant in Shanghai where the signature dish – this is not a joke – was “Cold Raw Sheep’s Brain”. “I bet you feel stupid now,” said the gourmet, a 42-year-old foodie who did not want his name, weight or waist measurement printed. “Brains are good for you.”

[...] But I did look up the original above-mentioned science report (in the journal Nature) and found that what it said was that members of the brain-eating Fore tribe in Papua New Guinea are now immune to mad cow disease – because only those with an immunity mutation survived.

In other words, some tribe members now cannot get brain diseases, which in health terms is a Very Good Thing, while the other members are stone dead, which in health terms is Less of a Good Thing....