Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: It's Canada's Fault!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Smoke is covering the northeast United States. It's coming from big forest fires, mostly in Quebec it seems. There have also been major fires in BC and Alberta

[Image: Fx-rKx8aAAICZ4X?format=jpg&name=small]
Looks like China on a good day! Tongue
We’ve had it bad here in the Kawartha Lakes (100km NE of Toronto). Difficult to breathe for some folks. See people wearing masks. Although tonight not so bad but I hear tomorrow is 9 out of 10 on the smoke meter.
I'm not sure where this photograph was taken. New York City I think.

[Image: FyCyg2WX0AIZ-yA?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
Is Canada taking tips from California on forest management?
Aren't forests supposed to be able to look after themselves?
You have forests for like 10 million years and one day you wake up and think 'Hm forests. Are we forgetting to do something?'.
If forests start self-destructing it might just be nature's way of saying the area isn't really suitable for forests any more.
(Jun 8, 2023 10:47 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]Aren't forests supposed to be able to look after themselves?
You have forests for like 10 million years and one day you wake up and think 'Hm forests. Are we forgetting to do something?'.
If forests start self-destructing it might just be nature's way of saying the area isn't really suitable for forests any more.

In the same vein, someone told me they feel bad for the animals in the forests that are breathing in smoke but wouldn’t they have evolved over millions of years and fires to at least survive the tainted air?