Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Crossword Clue Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Didn't know what to call it. Crossword clues include definitions, synonyms, wordplay, slang plus they're a test of general knowledge and more. Thought of this game years ago on another forum. Haven't seen this anywhere but haven't checked lately, perhaps someone has beat me to it, idk. Couldn't find anything similar on Google when I first penned it many years ago.

Here are 3 coded Swahili proverbs, each one sentence in length. The correct words are substituted with a crossword clue and each word is separated with the slash sign (/) Punctuation if required is included. First two I think are easy and the last one may be just slightly tougher. Didn't want to make them too difficult for starters. Should be able to do these in hardly any time at all without consulting dictionary, thesaurus or crossword clue reference manuals. Some words you may never see on a crossword puzzle because they're too short (1 or 2 letters).

1. Guarantees/become/excellent grade/obligations.

2. Splendid/gizmos/peddle,/harmful/stuff/promote

3. Solitary/Guinea Pig/exists/more effectively/linking two parts of a contrast/Downing St. address/compelled/brotherhood.

If you want to post the answers here go ahead. My intent was to come back later on and post them but whatever. Anybody can create their own and make it necessary to research answers.
1/ Promises are often a burden?
??? Swahili? Ostro might get it.
(Nov 16, 2022 03:08 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]1/ Promises are often a burden?
??? Swahili? Ostro might get it.

It’s only a 4 word answer as indicated by (/) marks. The clues between the / marks represent one word. All clues have one word answers. You’re close though.

Hint: Best eggs are usually marked grade _A_.

#1 answer will serve as an example: Promises are a debt.
Unlike crosswords, there's nothing else to go on, like word length. Too many possibilities, unless you happen to already know Swahili proverbs. Crosswords are good because there's more to narrow the answer than just the clue.
(Nov 16, 2022 03:44 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Unlike crosswords, there's nothing else to go on, like word length. Too many possibilities, unless you happen to already know Swahili proverbs. Crosswords are good because there's more to narrow the answer than just the clue.

All I said was crossword clues come in many forms. Didn’t say it was an actual crossword puzzle. All I’m doing is replacing each word in the answer with a crossword-like clue. I use a dictionary and thesaurus mainly. Might throw my own clue in there once in a while. I’m not Swahili but I have this little book of proverbs from around the world

Anyways if they’re that complicated then I’ll have to refine it so it’s good to hear complaints.

#2 answer: Good things sell, bad things advertise.
I do crosswords every day. The harder the better. So I'm biased toward wanting my word games to have definitive answers that can be derived solely from the puzzle, your vocabulary, and reasoning.

The closest I would have gotten to #2 is "good things sell, bad things are hyped" (because things don't advertise), but that doesn't sound too Swahili or proverbial. So there's no definite win criteria in it for me to seriously play. Might as well be picking the number you're thinking of. Now if each clue had the number of letters, you might be onto something. But having to be familiar with something as esoteric as Swahili proverbs really limits your potential player base.
(Nov 15, 2022 08:22 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ][...] Here are 3 coded Swahili proverbs, each one sentence in length. [...]

Swahili proverbs are about the same thing to me as Kiribati platitudes. Don't know any; and in the case of being Pokémon species literate, go out of my way to ensure I never can name one.
(Nov 16, 2022 05:04 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]I do crosswords every day. The harder the better. So I'm biased toward wanting my word games to have definitive answers that can be derived solely from the puzzle, your vocabulary, and reasoning.

The closest I would have gotten to #2 is "good things sell, bad things are hyped" (because things don't advertise), but that doesn't sound too Swahili or proverbial. So there's no definite win criteria in it for me to seriously play. Might as well be picking the number you're thinking of. Now if each clue had the number of letters, you might be onto something. But having to be familiar with something as esoteric as Swahili proverbs really limits your potential player base.

Ya. Needs some work. I like crosswords but I do a cryptic crossword almost every day. I didn’t have to say Swahili because to me a proverb is a proverb in any language. No one starts a crossword with letters already in place, it’s usually blank empty letter squares but granted you do know how many letters in the word. Although tough crosswords won’t tell you if there is more than one word in the answer. I could have called them something else like guessword or the old standard codeword clues if that’s easier. I kind of liked Translate but figured folks might think they’d need help from Berlitz.

Years ago when I did this I used verses, lines, stanzas from well known poems and many people figured them out. Didn’t think the word Swahili would throw people off. I’m surprised by it however. Must be something to it, idk.

3. One volunteer is better than ten forced men.
It's not the Swahili origin itself. It's that the sayings aren't common or widespread knowledge. Well-known poems work with an existing knowledge base for many people.
Could have used Vincent Price's directions To Cause a Witch to Die. Just as obscure as the Swahili.
(Nov 15, 2022 08:22 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ][...] Thought of this game years ago on another forum. [...]

It is an interesting adaptation, though. The weak point (compared to its provenance) is the single category. Which, if obscure enough or the "solver" is unfamiliar with, can deter participation. Whereas a crossroad puzzle simultaneously offers multiple categories/subjects to seduce interest. (If the solver gets frustrated with one, there's a bevy of others to deal with while waiting for a bulb to belatedly glow.)
Pages: 1 2