Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: How loneliness is killing men
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/how...lling-men/

INTRO: Back in 2008, a small but very cute study asked people to stand at the bottom of a hill, look up and guess how steep it was. Some people were there alone, others accompanied by friends. The hill, on the campus of the University of Virginia, had an incline of 26°. But to the people who were there with friends, it looked a lot less. Compared with those who turned up on their own, they significantly underestimated the gradient. The feel-good lesson? Everything looks easier when there’s a friend by your side.

Yes, mate, the benefits of friendship are profound. Having a strong social circle is associated with a longer life and fewer illnesses. Your pals lower your blood pressure and trigger positive chemicals in your brain. People with a strong social network are less stressed, more resilient and more optimistic. They’re more likely to be a healthy weight and less likely to suffer cognitive decline. They also enjoy some protection from cancer, heart disease and depression.

But there’s one group – a big one – that is missing out on these benefits. Men are lonely. Growing numbers of men are standing at the bottom of that hill, alone and overwhelmed, as surveys point to a recession of social connection among those of us with a Y chromosome.

A YouGov poll in 2019 concluded that one in five men have no close friends, twice as many as women. In 2021, the Survey Center on American Life found that since 1995, the number of American men reporting that they had no close friends jumped from 3 to 15 per cent. In the same research, the number of men saying they had at least six close friends halved from 55 per cent to 27 per cent.
Why can't men make friends?

Why do men struggle to make or maintain friendships? And what can we do about it, not just as individuals but on a societal level? Because the sad truth is, an empty social calendar is the least of Billy No-Mates’ problems. Loneliness is a health hazard, as dangerous as smoking or alcoholism, according to some research.

A major study by scientists at Brigham Young University in the US found that long-term social isolation can increase a person’s risk of premature death by as much as 32 per cent. For this reason, some have called it the ‘shadow pandemic’. It was brought into focus during the COVID-19 lockdowns, when all of us were isolated and friendship became a hot research topic again, but it had spread around the world long before the novel coronavirus had... (MORE - details)
Quote:Why can't men make friends?

Why do men struggle to make or maintain friendships? And what can we do about it, not just as individuals but on a societal level? Because the sad truth is, an empty social calendar is the least of Billy No-Mates’ problems. Loneliness is a health hazard, as dangerous as smoking or alcoholism, according to some research.

When I first moved into my apts 7 years ago I thought I was a rather rare bird--an older single male living by himself. Turns out over the years I have found out I'm one of many here. Growing old is conducive to loneliness. We are out of touch of modern culture and trends, and we favor peace and quiet. Older men also avoid doctors like the plague, leaving themselves vulnerable to all sort of bad health conditions if not an early death. Also the highest suicide rates are among men who are in their 70's. Not everyone is cut out for aloneness. It takes constant effort to remember all the things that make life a precious and worthwhile pursuit. Meaning in life is not a given for an older male. It's more like a wager we make every morning, counting on things to turn up that make us want to be around.