Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Link between hurricane Katrina & anti-LGBTQ rhetoric (preacher grandstanding style)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.damemagazine.com/2022/08/29/...-rhetoric/

EXCERPT:  . . . Seventeen years ago, Katrina hit New Orleans. Then the levees broke. We watched in a silence as thick as a roux, despair instead of flour, floodwater pouring in, thickening the air until the city crumbled under the weight. The levees broke, the city drowned, and my world ended. For the rest of my life, when I picture the Apocalypse, the end of days, I picture the waters pouring around shotgun houses.

I got through some of the stages of grief. Bargaining and denial, certainly. Depression? I crawled into the bottom of a bottle for a semester at the university in my hometown, drowning myself under alcohol almost as rapaciously as my adopted city drowned under water, neglect, and despair. I still don’t know if I’ve reached acceptance. But I did find anger. Anger at the state of the levees beforehand. Anger that more wasn’t done to evacuate the 9th ward. Anger at the federal response to the disaster. Anger at the universe. An anger that cut through the despair; a clarifying anger I have never let go.

That anger crystallized and focused on one group in particular, and as a result, for the last 17 years, I have kept a list. It is a list of pastors and preachers and spokespeople for religious organizations who blamed Hurricane Katrina on the “sin” in New Orleans. Those that said the city deserved it.

Purveyors of the notion that the hurricane was God’s judgment on the city, that the dead had it coming, that America had it coming, that, especially, the LGBTQIA+ community was and is such a moral abomination that God smote the city to punish it for supporting them.

That Southern Decadence, one of the largest celebrations of the gay community in the Crescent City, that opened my eyes to how much bigger and brighter and more beautiful the world could be outside of my small Missouri hometown, was why the city had to be destroyed. The idea that my gay, bisexual, and transgender friends, all of whom were scattered and hurting in the aftermath, were why New Orleans was drowned by their God.

Pat Robertson. Franklin Graham. John Hagee. Rick Joyner. Bill Shanks. Jennifer Giroux. Gerhard Wagner. John McTernan. Hal Lindsey. Charles Colson. Michael Marcavage. Rick Scarborough. Fred Phelps. A droplet of names out of a sea of hate.

Anti-LGBTQIA+ violence has always been a bedrock of Christian nationalists, and that the renewed fervor of it, combined with the ignoring of natural disasters and pandemics—or blaming them on LGBTQIA+ communities, as is happening with monkeypox—is not new, it is what the Christian right in this country does.

And as much as we like to think things have changed, that list? Those people? They are still at it... (MORE - missing details)
Is it a coincidence that as more people are cured of HIV we get monkey pox, primarily transmitted through gay sex? Two gay guys even gave it to their dog.

There is no violence in simply saying/believing that there was a reason for such destruction. I mean, it's not like any Christians were down there tearing at the levee.
Or is this another oversensitive case of the "words as violence" nonsense?
God must have poor aim punishing far more heterosexuals than gays with the destruction of New Orleans. You'd think he'd unleash some sexual orientation-specific plague or something. Smile
Being sinful or perverted isn't exclusive to homosexuals. While this author has a specific axe to grind, I'd bet that other sins were also mentioned in relation to Karina.

Hurricane Katrina Weighing in on the crisis, pastor John Hagee said "I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that."
- https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a...ms/341489/

Funny how the OP article makes it sound like only LGBT were blamed, but then doesn't bring any quoted receipts.
It’s the ultimate attribution error where the cause is attributed to the traits of an outgroup, but what about the city’s levees failing due to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers design failures?
(Aug 30, 2022 01:31 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]It’s the ultimate attribution error where the cause is attributed to the traits of an outgroup, but what about the city’s levees failing due to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers design failures?

"...responsibility for maintenance belongs to the local levee boards" - wiki
(Aug 30, 2022 01:31 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]It’s the ultimate attribution error where the cause is attributed to the traits of an outgroup, but what about the city’s levees failing due to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers design failures?

There was a NOVA episode on PBS, that focused on the vulnerabilities of New Orleans to a powerful hurricane, that prophetically aired not long before Katrina hit.

Or I apparently mis-recall watching it via the regular series -- this claims it was actually a segment of the spin-off "NOVA Science Now": Hurricanes: New Orleans Under Threat.

PBS predicted Hurrican Katrina disaster ... https://youtu.be/XjZ5mAXcAy0
(Aug 30, 2022 11:58 PM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]

"...responsibility for maintenance belongs to the local levee boards" - wiki

"All concur that the primary cause of the flooding was inadequate design and construction by the Army Corps of Engineers"—wiki

And if you click on the link to the interview that you posted, you can read the entire statement. Violence isn’t limited to physical violence.

Quote:JH: All hurricanes are acts of God, because God controls the heavens. I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that.

The newspaper carried the story in our local area, that was not carried nationally, that there was to be a homosexual parade there on the Monday that the Katrina came. And the promise of that parade was that it would was going to reach a level of sexuality never demonstrated before in any of the other gay pride parades.
So I believe that the judgment of God is a very real thing. I know there are people who demur from that, but I believe that the Bible teaches that when you violate the law of God, that God brings punishment sometimes before the Day of Judgment, and I believe that the Hurricane Katrina was, in fact, the judgment of God against the city of New Orleans.

(Aug 31, 2022 01:16 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]There was a NOVA episode on PBS, that focused on the vulnerabilities of New Orleans to a powerful hurricane, that prophetically aired not long before Katrina hit.

Interesting. Thanks, C C!
Until this post, I never heard of 'Dame Magazine'. Apparently, it's a left-feminist opinion e-magazine. As I have zero interest in left-feminist opinion, I hope that I never encounter it again. I have plenty of opinions of my own, thank you very much.

(Aug 29, 2022 08:27 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]EXCERPT:  . . . Seventeen years ago, Katrina hit New Orleans... The levees broke, the city drowned, and my world ended. For the rest of my life, when I picture the Apocalypse, the end of days, I picture the waters pouring around shotgun houses.

I got through some of the stages of grief. Bargaining and denial, certainly... But I did find anger... a clarifying anger I have never let go.

That anger crystallized and focused on one group in particular, and as a result, for the last 17 years, I have kept a list. It is a list of pastors and preachers

Maybe this writer needs to look within herself, and come to terms with her own broader feelings of alienation, which seem to have crystalized around the Katrina disaster and projected away onto others whom she hates.

Quote:Anti-LGBTQIA+ violence has always been a bedrock of Christian nationalists, and that the renewed fervor of it, combined with the ignoring of natural disasters and pandemics—or blaming them on LGBTQIA+ communities, as is happening with monkeypox—is not new, it is what the Christian right in this country does.

And there it is, her own full-frontal hatred.

I think that this is a woman with some psychological issues.
(Aug 31, 2022 03:37 PM)Yazata Wrote: [ -> ]Until this post, I never heard of 'Dame Magazine'. Apparently, it's a left-feminist opinion e-magazine. As I have zero interest in left-feminist opinion, I hope that I never encounter it again. I have plenty of opinions of my own, thank you very much.

(Aug 29, 2022 08:27 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]EXCERPT:  . . . Seventeen years ago, Katrina hit New Orleans... The levees broke, the city drowned, and my world ended. For the rest of my life, when I picture the Apocalypse, the end of days, I picture the waters pouring around shotgun houses.

I got through some of the stages of grief. Bargaining and denial, certainly... But I did find anger... a clarifying anger I have never let go.

That anger crystallized and focused on one group in particular, and as a result, for the last 17 years, I have kept a list. It is a list of pastors and preachers

Maybe this writer needs to look within herself, and come to terms with her own broader feelings of alienation, which seem to have crystalized around the Katrina disaster and projected away onto others whom she hates.

Quote:Anti-LGBTQIA+ violence has always been a bedrock of Christian nationalists, and that the renewed fervor of it, combined with the ignoring of natural disasters and pandemics—or blaming them on LGBTQIA+ communities, as is happening with monkeypox—is not new, it is what the Christian right in this country does.

And there it is, her own full-frontal hatred.

I think that this is a woman with some psychological issues.

I think this is a man. Err!
Pages: 1 2