Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: My psychiatrist believes I am deluded despite evidence to the contrary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am in a tight situation. It is my word against an authority of the mental health system. I have tried time and again to explain the effects cannabis has on my thought processes, providing me with the highest level of genius possible. No matter how hard I try to explain this to my psychiatrist she continues to categorize me with people who think they're God or those who are actually deluded. Why is that? I actually spell it out to her and show her my writings but she remains oblivious, saying that "unless you've had something published I won't believe it". Am I dealing with a blind and ignorant power hungry evil? When it seemed like I was getting through to her somewhat as she asked me "what makes you different from all the other patients who believe they are God?" I meandered somewhat witlessly and trailed off. Losing my opportunity to open her eyes. Now I have to go up against a panel of so-called "experts" and am not sure of how to approach it. Any suggestions?
Accept the possibility that you may be suffering from delusions and go from there. Just be honest with yourself and be open to what they tell you. They are the experts in this sort of thing. They're just trying to help you.
(Dec 24, 2021 08:46 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]Accept the possibility that you may be suffering from delusions and go from there. Just be honest with yourself and be open to what they tell you. They are the experts in this sort of thing. They're just trying to help you.

You are taking the wrong side then. Thanks for nothing.
Why are you seeing a psychiatrist in the first place? Most people who are well-adjusted don't even think to do so. So what is causing you distress or negatively affecting your life?
If you do something right, or believe you have, your brain produces a chemical stimulation that stimulates your reward centre. Cannabis artificially stimulates the reward centre. This means whether you are right or wrong, you'll seem like you're being rewarded.

The problem with this is that it leads to delusional thinking or at the very least the prospect that a person is suspectable to inaccurate conclusions (delusions) and even manipulation by third-parties. (When a person starts believing the conspiracy theories of others etc)

The only true way to prove your "Genius" would be to take a break from Cannabis for a while (I'd suggest about a year) and to observe the difference. (Consider in scientific research it takes time to come to a conclusion through empirical evidence collected from observation or experimentation. While you assume the result is a particular way right now under the influence, how about observing the difference while not under the influence so as to generate a more rounded opinion of what you believe.)
(Dec 24, 2021 09:15 PM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you seeing a psychiatrist in the first place? Most people who are well-adjusted don't even think to do so. So what is causing you distress or negatively affecting your life?

Since you couldn't answer this simple question and are off talking about Langan again, it's very clear you are delusional. Either you're seeing a psychiatrist involuntarily, in which case others have seen reason to be concerned with your behavior (not just your beliefs), or you sought out a psychiatrist because you know your life is not going well, and you lack the intelligence to fix it yourself.

I agree with Stryder. You will not know what's real insight and what's delusion until you've quit doing drugs for at least a year. Only then will you have any chance of your expectations for life matching your actual abilities.