Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Niagara Filling Up for Eclipse

Zinjanthropos Offline
Saw plenty of RV trailers on the highway to Niagara Falls today. Not sure where they’re all parking. I’m avoiding the city until this is over. In our area, south of the Falls there was an influx of tents and trailers setting up along the Lake Erie beach but only where allowed. Tomorrow should see many eclipse watchers looking for a place to hole up. All hotels are booked solid. For myself I have an excellent unobstructed view of the Sun as it crosses directly behind our house, I don’t need to go anywhere. The town was handing out free eclipse glasses at town hall so I stopped in and grabbed a couple pairs. Forecast is calling for partially cloudy so hopefully we get a few peeks at it.

https://niagarafalls.ca/living/solar-eclipse-2024.aspx
Yazata Offline
I'm jealous Z-man! I've never seen a total eclipse and they tell me they are amazing and mind-boggling!
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Apr 7, 2024 01:34 AM)Yazata Wrote: I'm jealous Z-man! I've never seen a total eclipse and they tell me they are amazing and mind-boggling!

Was saying the other day to my wife that I’d rather watch the shadow move across NA from space. Hope something recording that.

I’m going to have the perfect view without having to go anywhere. Fingers crossed for some clear sky. My second eclipse.

Do you think there might be planes in the air above the clouds, carrying scientists?
Yazata Offline
(Apr 7, 2024 02:07 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Apr 7, 2024 01:34 AM)Yazata Wrote: I'm jealous Z-man! I've never seen a total eclipse and they tell me they are amazing and mind-boggling!

Was saying the other day to my wife that I’d rather watch the shadow move across NA from space. Hope something recording that.

I’m going to have the perfect view without having to go anywhere. Fingers crossed for some clear sky.  My second eclipse.

Do you think there might be planes in the air above the clouds, carrying scientists?

Oh, yeah. I think that they fly along with the eclipse as it moves across the ground, staying within the area of totality, to make it last longer so they can observe.
Zinjanthropos Offline
From Greenbuildermedia.com

Quote:Here are the estimated carbon emissions from eclipse tourism in 2024, considering both air and car travel for 4 million people: Air travel emissions: Approximately 345,000 tons of CO2. Car travel emissions: Approximately 242,400 tons of CO2. Total emissions from eclipse tourism: Approximately 587,400 tons of CO2.

FYI… state of emergency.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/nia...ar-eclipse

That visitor number has since been reduced to 200,000. Schools will be closed. Lot of bubble wrapping going on. I guess authorities think we’ll all be staring at Sun.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Calling for sun and cloud mix today. Temperature around 60°F during eclipse. Hope to catch a glimpse. Got the lawn chairs ready. We’re right smack dab in the middle of the track.

Edit: heard a revised Buffalo weather forecast just now 8:30am and it has changed for the worse. Clouds have rolled in. Possible rain, so it looks like we may be out of luck. Still hopeful for a peek. Still 5-6 hrs until start. Oh well, feel bad for Niagara Falls and Buffalo.

Update: Wife and I checked out Chippewa*, small village incorporated into Niagara Falls years ago and site of some huge parking lots along Niagara River. People are parking there and paying $35 for the privilege. Hate seeing them get gouged like that but that’s a tourist town for ya.

It’s 11:50 am and the Sun is actually shining through some clouds which are moving east which may just be out of here by showtime. Tried my special glasses out and working fine. Buffalo 10 mins away from here and looks brighter over that direction.

*Home of David Cameron (director Titanic, Avatar). They had a big parade for him few years ago with him in attendance.

Update: Woohoo, extremely lucky. About 4 mins before totality there was a hole in the clouds for almost 10 mins. Saw the entire totality event and a little after it ended. Got very dark and street lights popped on. We had short periods of eclipse views leading up to that wonderful break. Could see clearer skies over Niagara Falls so hope they were lucky also. Eclipse hasn’t popped out since.
Yazata Offline
View of the Moon's eclipse shadow from a starlink in space.

Big black spot looks like somebody stubbed out a cigarette on the Earth.

https://twitter.com/Starlink/status/1777441354588791206

(Apr 8, 2024 10:54 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Update: Woohoo,  extremely lucky. About 4 mins before totality there was a hole in the clouds for almost 10 mins. Saw the entire totality event and a little after it ended. Got very dark and street lights popped on. We had short periods of eclipse views leading up to that wonderful break. Could see clearer skies over Niagara Falls so hope they were lucky also. Eclipse hasn’t popped out since.

Way to go, Z-man! I was thinking about you and about how it went. Did you see the sun turn into that weird ring-thing?

https://twitter.com/news4buffalo/status/...5231391002
Magical Realist Online
Here in Portland we had a great view of the grey clouds totally eclipsing the sun. It was quite spectacular. Didn't even have to wear glasses!
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Apr 9, 2024 04:04 AM)Yazata Wrote: View of the Moon's eclipse shadow from a starlink in space.

Big black spot looks like somebody stubbed out a cigarette on the Earth.

https://twitter.com/Starlink/status/1777441354588791206

(Apr 8, 2024 10:54 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Update: Woohoo,  extremely lucky. About 4 mins before totality there was a hole in the clouds for almost 10 mins. Saw the entire totality event and a little after it ended. Got very dark and street lights popped on. We had short periods of eclipse views leading up to that wonderful break. Could see clearer skies over Niagara Falls so hope they were lucky also. Eclipse hasn’t popped out since.

Way to go, Z-man! I was thinking about you and about how it went. Did you see the sun turn into that weird ring-thing?

https://twitter.com/news4buffalo/status/...5231391002

For most of the first part of eclipse we could look at it without glasses as the cloud thickness was just right. Looks like MR had same experience in Portland. Not sure what you mean by weird thing…. Only thing I noticed was the diamond ring effect when totality was just about there. Took a few photos just with iPad and because of the thin cloud present at times, the totality ring looked like a fuzzy white circle in a couple. I’d send it but unfortunately I don’t know how. If I ever learn I’ll post it. Could hear plenty of cheering from neighbouring yards when skies opened up for totality. I wanted to see that more than anything else so feel fortunate the timing was perfect. We paid attention to see if the birds would act different but they kept on coming to our feeders all the while doing their normal squawking. Funny how it seemed to suddenly turn dark when the ring formed and doesn’t take much of the sun to light things up again. All in all a good experience. One question…we saw the eclipse start at the bottom right portion of Sun and work its way to the top left and I wonder if it’s the same for everybody along the path?