Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Arizona bill bans displays of Satan

Magical Realist Offline
The rightwing nutjobs are at it again..

https://www.azfamily.com/2024/02/08/bill...GFG_1vk33Q

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) — "A measure that would keep anything Satan-related away from public spaces passed a state Senate committee on Wednesday morning.

The Committee on Government approved SB 1279 by a 5-1 vote, with two senators not voting. Republican Sen. Jake Hoffman, who represents southern Maricopa and Pinal counties, introduced the bill, which is also known as the Reject Escalating Satanism by Preserving Core Traditions Act. It would ban any symbols, statues or displays that represent or honor Satan from being on public property.

Critics argue the proposal is unconstitutional and violates the First Amendment. “I am genuinely impressed that in only 25 words, this bill seems to violate three separate clauses of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution,’’ said Micah Mangione, who is against the bill. He added it would create a slippery slope against other religions. “If you can go after the Satanic Temple, which is an established religion, what about paganism next? What about Judaism next? How about Islam? How about LDS? Does any religion matter that’s not your Christian religion?” he asked

Hoffman disagreed. “It is legally and constitutionally suspect to argue that Satan, someone who is universally known to be an explicit enemy of God, is somehow a religion. I mean, that is an absolutely ludicrous statement to make,” he said..."
Zinjanthropos Offline
Perhaps the city will change its name, in the interest of consistency

From Spiritualray.com :
Quote: Let us start from the oldest occult symbol. It’s “The Phoenix Bird”, and it originated in the Egyptian Satanic Mysteries. It is believed that only one of these magnificent bird lives at any one time and have a lifespan of 500 years. Then, it self-immolates and its body is reduced to ashes. However, a new Phoenix immediately arises out of these ashes, to live another 500 years. In occult it is believed that the Phoenix is a symbol of Lucifer who was cast down in flames and who they think will one day rise triumphant.
Syne Offline
If you think Satan is a good and worthwhile object for display on public property, you're either evil or a moron. You can only go so far playing devil's advocate until you're literally advocating for evil.
Magical Realist Offline
Is there any scientifically backed correlation between seeing an image or statue of Satan and becoming "evil"?
Syne Offline
If you want to pretend that a supreme symbol of evil has nothing to do with evil, you're either in the moron or evil camp.

If you want to claim that "Satan" just represents a rebel, you're not talking about religion and it's protection under the First Amendment.
If you want to claim that Satan is a religious figure, you are talking about evil.

Either way, it has no place on public property, as it does nothing to promote beneficial behaviors. On the other hand, many studies have shown the positive benefit of actual religions on individuals and society.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Either way, it has no place on public property, as it does nothing to promote beneficial behaviors.

Does the public display of art as in murals and sculptures "promote beneficial behaviors"? Should that be banned too?
Magical Realist Offline
We have art all over our city on public property sponsored by the city and an art tax. I'm sure other cities do as well. Should it all be banned because it doesn't promote good behavior? Who decides when art does this or not? Rightwing nutjobs?
Zinjanthropos Offline
The bill probably will hurt Arizona State University’s merchandise sales. Yet these things can backfire and people buy out of spite, just to protest. Maybe ASU is going to feel the heat to change their team name and logo(s). I like the trident emblazoned on their football team helmets. Is Tempe a suburb of Phoenix? Either way it’s close geographically.

There are ways to handle evil and evildoers. We can try to eliminate both. However one thing I don’t do is display a symbolic representation of an instrument of torture, execution, death, suffering, cruelty, and brutality in my home nor do I wear miniature versions of this device (with or without a victim attached), including tattoos on my person. I also do not wave one around in public. Such displays of the apparatus may not be deemed evil, but good by some folks’ standards.

Even though we can all think differently on the subject…..Here’s the thing: At the highest level, there’s nothing evil about getting rid of evil. Nor is it evil to use whatever means possible to do the job. There can only be one problem, wrongly accusing and punishing. For adherents the trade off is a good one, collateral damage is unavoidable and is the price to pay for combatting the devil.
Syne Offline
Does Portland have public art of explicit symbols of evil or perversion? If so, maybe that explains why it's such a shithole.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article UK passes Sunak's Rwanda migrant bill + Sunak pledges extra aid to Ukraine C C 0 35 Apr 23, 2024 02:53 AM
Last Post: C C
  High school bans cellphones during school hours Magical Realist 1 101 Dec 29, 2022 06:31 AM
  Brexit / Russian conspiracy + Red states poised to cash in on Dems’ green energy bill C C 0 75 Aug 25, 2022 04:05 PM
  "Bill Maher is right about the fat-acceptance movement" C C 2 104 Aug 11, 2022 03:46 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Biden signs semiconductor bill boosting US competitiveness C C 0 66 Aug 9, 2022 09:44 PM
  Bill Nye, the Sellout Guy (greenwashing) + What's going on with Elon Musk & Twitter? C C 19 527 Jul 9, 2022 12:05 AM
Last Post: Yazata
  Florida bans 54 math books because of critical race theory Magical Realist 1 87 Apr 19, 2022 09:02 PM
  Arizona "audit" of 2020 election finds no evidence of fraud Magical Realist 0 97 Sep 24, 2021 09:04 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Atlanta's crime-wave & taxes spurring split + Bill Maher blasts Biden's free college C C 1 156 Jun 9, 2021 08:26 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Republicans' bizarre Arizona election audit Magical Realist 1 189 May 7, 2021 01:23 AM
Last Post: Syne