Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Intelligence Prefers Cold

Zinjanthropos Offline
The debate goes on. Are people in colder climates smarter than those of warmer? Global warming may see Earthling smarts nosedive. I suffered, the schools I attended lacked air conditioning. They tried to teach me in what was siesta time in other parts of the world.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/news...005552bbd3
C C Offline
I don't see how those rawly living in either extreme heat or freezing cold could care about or devote much time to abstract thought, except when some practical offshoot of it aided survival.

Kind of moot in this day and age, anyway, what with modern air conditioning and heating (cabs of work vehicles & equipment as much as homes and offices). Poor and uneducated people who might lack or can't afford such conveniences aren't expected (by the establishments) to conceive and introduce novel, major developments, anyway. Their value to the regional Lord Protectors is as victims of an oppressive social structure -- serving as their political mascots and justifications for _X_ opportunistic agendas and heavy taxation.

When destitute, ailing, and starving in NYC, Lovecraft never accomplished much in the heat of summer and the cold of winter. Oddly enough, the effects of being in poverty seemed to generate social injustice attitudes rather than commiseration with his fellow victims.

Marriage, Failure, and Exile: H.P. Lovecraft in New York: He spent all of his adult life living and writing in a single Providence neighborhood with one notable exception — his two years in New York City between 1924 and 1926.

His relationship with New York soured throughout 1925. Echoing many New Yorkers — past, present, and certainly future — Lovecraft complained about his landlady, the heat, rodents, and his fellow tenants at Clinton Street. In May 1925, burglars robbed him of most of his clothes. Living in poverty, his diet primarily consisted of bread, cheese, and canned baked beans. He wrote little. He launched into tirades against immigrants, white ethnics, Jews, and Blacks in letters to his aunts.

Lovecraft fled Brooklyn for Providence in April 1926. Discovering that New York had provided him with the distance to appreciate fully his native region, he entered his most fertile period as a writer. Greene and Lovecraft maintained a long-distance relationship until divorce proceedings began at Greene’s insistence in January 1929. He would periodically visit New York throughout the rest of his life to see friends.

Until his death in 1937, he continued to view New York as a warning to his beloved Providence, as a city lost to immigrants and minorities. In an unmailed letter found on his desk after his death — possibly his last piece of writing — Lovecraft referred to New York as “the pest zone.”  Still, he could not completely escape nostalgia for this period in his life...

Yazata Offline
I live in warm California and.... uh, what were we talking about?

I don't get it...
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 27, 2024 04:37 AM)Yazata Wrote: I live in warm California and.... uh, what were we talking about?

I don't get it...

Along the northern coast of Lake Erie is a spit of land that extends southward called Point Pelee. It’s about a 4 hr drive from where I am but when you walk out on it you end up at the southernmost tip of mainland Canada. There’s an island (Pelee Island) that is even more southerly. Both are situated farther south than California’s northern border. Difference is that Pelee experiences a much colder climate.

Now we could at least compare the intelligence levels of the two areas in the interest of science, if only to eliminate latitude from the equation. Big Grin
confused2 Offline
We need some way to compare the intelligence of one lot of people who choose to live in a place that's nice and warm and another lot of people who choose to live where it's cold as hell and really difficult to survive. Can't say anything obvious springs to mind.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 27, 2024 12:12 PM)confused2 Wrote: We need some way to compare the intelligence of one lot of people who choose to live in a place that's nice and warm and another lot of people who choose to live where it's cold as hell and really difficult to survive. Can't say anything obvious springs to mind.

Like scientists.