Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Riding the wild wave of a spiritual emergency

Magical Realist Offline
"In 2017, I travelled to the Amazon jungle to take part in an ayahuasca retreat. I hadn’t done psychedelics for 20 years, and that last time I’d had a bad trip which had left me traumatised. Why would I ever want to try psychedelics again? Although I’d healed a lot from that youthful bad experience, I still felt I had healing to do at a deeper level. And I thought that psychedelic therapy, guided by trained facilitators in a safe space, might help me. I chose the retreat centre very carefully, and set off. The retreat was a positive, if sometimes scary experience. By the final day I felt my heart was deeply open and connected to the other participants.

It was when I was back in Iquitos, this noisy, dirty city in Peru, that things started to go wrong. It felt as if my heart froze shut. I was suddenly profoundly disconnected from my surroundings and from other people, to the extent that they seemed unreal. Now all the trauma from my bad trip of 20 years before was flooding back – not on the retreat, as I expected, but after it. I hadn’t expected that at all. It was scary. How long would the disorientation last? Days? Weeks? Years? Forever?

I set off the next day for the Galápagos Islands, where I’d planned to stay for a week. During the two-day journey there, I started to doubt if I was in normal reality. I began to suspect that I was either in a dream of my own construction or trapped in some kind of fake reality constructed by someone else. Could I be in a coma or some afterlife limbo state?

These eery feelings intensified over the next couple of days. On the ferry to the Galápagos, I thought I was on Charon’s ferry, crossing the river Styx to the land of the dead. I checked in to a hotel in the Galápagos, and sat on the balcony. Below me, three seals lay on deckchairs, like overweight tourists, and bellowed sickeningly, while little black iguanas waddled grotesquely around them. This isn’t real, I thought. How do I wake up? When I got texts from loved ones, I thought my subconscious was constructing them. I felt profoundly alone in this fake reality.

How do you know if you’re dreaming? It’s an old philosophical conundrum that goes back to René Descartes. He noted that we could be in a dream, or an imaginary universe constructed by an evil demon, and we’d have no way of proving otherwise. Like Descartes, all I knew for sure was that I was conscious.

A friend back in London realised that I wasn’t well, and suggested, by text, that I should come home. I agreed. I thought I might wake up if I travelled ‘back to London’ in my dream. It took three days and four flights, and all that time, travelling alone in an altered state, I thought I was in a fake reality – I was constructing the plane, the air stewards, the sky with my mind. Somehow, I managed to negotiate it all calmly and arrive back without freaking out or getting locked up. My friend was waiting for me at the airport. It was like the last scene of the film Inception (2010), where the hero meets his family in the airport but isn’t sure if he’s still dreaming. In the end, he decides to go with it. I also decided to go with it, to treat appearances as real.

For two weeks, my friends took care of me. They made sure I ate properly (I’d forgotten to eat for three days) and helped me cross the road (I still wasn’t sure what was real). It was a scary but also a beautiful time, because my heart was still incredibly open, although my rationality was not functioning very well. After two weeks, I was back in this material reality and life carried on more or less as before...."

Contin'd here
https://psyche.co/ideas/a-spiritual-emer...e-the-wave
C C Offline
(May 20, 2023 02:55 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: [...] It was when I was back in Iquitos, this noisy, dirty city in Peru, that things started to go wrong. It felt as if my heart froze shut. I was suddenly profoundly disconnected from my surroundings and from other people, to the extent that they seemed unreal. Now all the trauma from my bad trip of 20 years before was flooding back – not on the retreat, as I expected, but after it. I hadn’t expected that at all. It was scary. How long would the disorientation last? Days? Weeks? Years? Forever? [...]

I realize that it might only be an hour's drive from Iquitos, but that still sounds like the thick of the rainforest and a disconnect from the bustle of civilization.

Maybe they should have an outclient facility in Iquitos to serve as a mediator between the Ayahuasca retreat and reintroduction into the outer world again. Iquitos itself is isolated in the Amazon basin, no roads going to it other than local. But at least it's the first exposure to a metropolitan area again. Just need a transitional coping shelter there, an extension of the retreat.
Magical Realist Offline
I feel like he was exhausted by the experience at the retreat and needed to be regrounded in his normal everyday reality. Getting back home and to his daily routines allowed him the ease and comfort of the familiar and the mundane and of his ordinary ego. One cannot long bear an Icarus flight to the sun without getting one's feathers occasionally singed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were spiritual rites in the Devil’s Church in Koli based on acoustic resonance? C C 0 156 Nov 27, 2023 06:47 PM
Last Post: C C
  Sports as a spiritual experience Magical Realist 2 112 Sep 10, 2023 08:15 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Most people don’t really want to be happy (spiritual bliss) C C 1 130 Sep 28, 2022 08:58 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Can mathematics be spiritual? C C 1 94 May 7, 2022 06:42 PM
  Scientists carry greater credibility than spiritual gurus C C 3 116 Feb 11, 2022 08:51 PM
  Redwood forest returned to Native American tribes (spiritual reclamation) C C 0 58 Jan 26, 2022 07:09 AM
  The spiritual consciousness of Christof Koch (interview) C C 1 108 Oct 15, 2021 11:45 PM
  Spiritual but not religious Magical Realist 7 314 Sep 8, 2021 05:06 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Meditative practice and spiritual wellbeing may preserve cognitive function in aging C C 0 76 May 11, 2021 10:10 PM
  Spiritual cult trembles from new reach of para-religious regime (Marxist justice) C C 0 159 Jul 27, 2020 04:13 AM