Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Are philosophers not doing enough mind-altering drugs?

C C Offline
https://www.wired.com/story/this-is-a-ph...-on-drugs/

EXCERPTS: There is something strange in the disinterest philosophers show for experimentation with mind-altering drugs—or at least for talking about their experimentation publicly. At the margins of philosophical writing we have [...all sorts of acknowledged and potential historical cases of philosophers taking substances, submitted here...]. I’m probably missing a few notable cases.

But still, for the most part, to admit to any intention to use chemical substances, whether found in nature or synthesized in laboratories, in the aim of changing one’s apprehension of reality, is to leave the guild of the philosophers behind, with all its constricting norms and shibboleths, and to join the company, over in the deep end of the pool of life, of sundry countercultural weirdos and deviants.

This shows, I think, just how conservative philosophy remains, in some respects, as an academic discipline. At a cultural moment when psychedelics are getting a second wind, and even someone as upstanding as Michael Pollan has moved from counseling us to eat our roughage to praising the benefits of microdosing, philosophers are conducting themselves as though it were still 1950, when we wore skinny ties to colloquia, got funding from the RAND Corporation to work on decision trees and other such narrow and straitlaced endeavors, and all knew that it is the unaltered and wakeful mind that has exclusive access to the forms and qualities of the external world.

[...] For all our efforts, we still are not one step closer to apprehending the things in themselves. It is not that science hasn’t progressed—of course it has—but rather that the problem is conceptual and not empirical. You can’t perceive the thing that lies behind what you are perceiving, since the instant you do perceive it, it no longer lies behind but is front and center.

Given what appears to be this logically necessary stalemate between us and the world, it seems inevitable that alternative accounts of the fundamental nature of reality—alternative ontologies, as we say—should keep returning and drawing off at least some philosophers who get fed up with an external world that demands our loyalty yet refuses to show itself.

In at least some of these alternative ontologies, the visions that come to us unbidden, in the liminal states of insobriety, hypnagogia, or theurgic ecstasy, are not to be dismissed out of hand as obstacles to our apprehension of truth, but may in fact be vehicles of truth themselves.

[...] I am aware I’m pushing up against the limits of respectability dictated by the implicit norms of my discipline, but I’ve gone about as far as I was ever destined to go in the ranks of this guild, and I’ve got nothing, and no one, to be afraid of. So I’m just going to come right out and say it: I am a philosopher who has taken an interest, of late, in psychedelic experimentation, and I find that my experiments have significantly widened the range of accounts of the nature of reality that I am disposed to take seriously. If you think you are in an emotional state to handle it, and in a legal jurisdiction that permits it, and you think you might benefit from being jolted out of your long-held ontological commitments, then I would recommend that you try some psychotropic drugs as well.

[...] I am significantly less cocky now, my cluelessness is more evident to me, a constant that accompanies me in each moment of the day. No one seems more pathetic to me, now, in their own cluelessness, than the self-styled “realists” who prejudicially and without any grounds go on supposing that they have a firm grasp of concepts like “nature,” “matter,” “being,” “thing,” “world,” “self,” that this grasp flows directly from their acceptance of the plain evidence of reason buttressed by empirical discovery, and that the question of how many kinds of being there are, and of the nature of these beings, is one that has been definitively settled over the past few centuries of naturalistic inquiry…

[...] While I remain as uncertain as ever about the ultimate structure of the world, I also have new inclinations, and new sympathies, toward accounts of it that had previously struck me as altogether off the table. That widening is itself a sort of newfound knowledge, even if it contains no new certainties.

[...] Are any of these lucubrations to be taken at all seriously? Or do they just describe how the world appears to one sorry fellow who’s got a “brain on drugs”? (Readers of a certain age will at this point picture an egg in a frying pan.) Well yes, of course it’s a brain on drugs, but this just returns us to the original problem: Your brain is always on drugs. That is, there is always a neurochemical correlate to any of your conscious perceptions whatsoever. You might be tempted to say that supplementing gets in the way of correct perception, and that the only reliable way of apprehending the world as it is must depend only on the default setting of the mind, with no extras. But again, even this setting delivers us delirious hallucinations for about eight hours out of each 24. Moreover, it is hard to conceive of any valid argument against supplementation… (MORE - missing details)
Zinjanthropos Online
1. If you want a better memory….take Prevagen

2, If you want to be a better philosopher….take more mind altering drugs

3. If you want to better remember the mind altering experience … take both

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article How today's universities killed the academic (pseudo philosophers running the asylum) C C 0 138 Mar 22, 2024 04:28 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Philosopher chatbot: LucretiusGPT + Ancient philosophers & cosmology C C 0 164 Jan 26, 2024 11:41 PM
  Philosophers advise different approach to researching consciousness in animals C C 0 63 Mar 3, 2023 07:05 PM
  M=R does not imply that mind creates the object Ostronomos 0 58 Feb 20, 2023 04:23 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  Men may not ‘perceive’ domestic tasks as needing doing in the same way as women C C 4 162 Dec 23, 2022 11:27 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Why kids make the best philosophers C C 0 55 Apr 29, 2022 05:35 PM
  Philosophers lean left, in 3 directions + Kant’s CPR condensed into 100 tweets C C 0 70 Nov 29, 2021 12:58 AM
  What contemporary philosophers believe + Philosophical demons haunting thermodynamics C C 1 164 Nov 8, 2021 08:36 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  The mind does not exist C C 2 118 Sep 1, 2021 04:24 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  What I was doing at 25 Ostronomos 0 87 May 30, 2021 02:41 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos